It didn’t quite go as well as I had hoped.
First I set everything up, only to find that I didn’t have any green or blue and very little yellow. But everything was set up and getting anything involving water going around here is no small task, so I decided to forge ahead. I noticed that the very edges of one of the colors turned a blueish shade, so I started experimenting to get more of that. What I ended up with was a whole heck of a lot of mauve. My reds were all tending more towards pink as well and I was generally not a happy camper.
And this here is where Steve get’s extra credit, good husband points, for offering to run to the store to get me some green, blue and yellow while the yarn was still wet. Furthermore, this offer was made full well knowing that it meant almost an hour round trip on a dark and rainy night and without any real investment in the outcome of said yarn beyond the potential happiness of one mama and one wee boy. Now that’s love I tell ya!
I over-dyed it upon his return. The blue and green help a bit. There was only so much I could do since it had been dyed previously. It’s still w-a-y heavy on the shades of pink, when I wasn’t trying for any pink at all! And it’s just generally a whole lot more fruity-loop-y, pastel and cutesy, then I had in mind. But once you tell a three year old that you are dyeing a special yarn for a special project just for him, you kind of have to use *that* yarn, like it or not.
I have to say, after all this, I’m crazy curious to see how it actually knits up.